Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Remember the Adventure Games?

This Week's Tuesday Update:

Unfettered Discord

Well I sure remember my games: Caveman Dan and Unfettered Discord!  It's been a while since I've done any updating there, as I've been busy with bacon day videos, drawings, and animations.

I know it's not the best for these games to leave such a gap in between commands, but I've updated Unfettered Discord, and next week I plan to update Caveman Dan.  The stories are both coming to a point of real development, so if you don't know what's going on, now is a good time to do a quick read over, and if you're lost, just post some comments on this thread and I'll fill you in.

Since I know I've acquired some new viewers of my site, in case you're confused about how these games work, or about how they're actually games at all, I'll explain briefly:

If you're an uber computer nerd, quite simply put, in these games, I replace the computer as the parser.

For everyone else who has no clue what that means, I offer a slightly longer explanation:

The games are meant to resemble those old command line video games, but it reads more like a comic.  So where you see the part that says, "> start_" under the picture when you open the game—that's the command line.  On every page, you just click the command line to see the next screen, and you read it more like you would read a comic book, to catch up on the story.  It's basically like a comic strip to have the feel of a game, because you have an image, a description of the action going on below, and then a command line where you would (normally) type in your next command.  And it's a story comic, so you can't really just jump in anywhere, because each panel is hardly meant to be read/viewed all on its lonesome.

Where the gameplay actually comes in is that eventually when you're caught up, you'll notice the command line is blank, and below it are a whole mess of commands submitted by people from all over.  Now when you click the command line, you can actually type in your own commands for what you want to happen next in the game, and it will be added to the list.  Then I pick a command that I like from that list, and draw up the next panel in the game.  So from then on, you're participating in "playing" the game with everyone else who visits my website!  Neat eh?

No comments: